About the Bed and Breakfast...
The inn is named for the two families who lived here prior to its becoming a bed and breakfast. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Nearing bought this 1947 neo-colonial house from its original owner and made renovations to a 2-story sun porch on the south side of the building, adding additional living space to the family room and a fourth upstairs bedroom. In 1960 the Nearings sold the house to my parents, Dr. and Mrs. Fletcher McDowell. At that time Tillotson Avenue was at the edge of town, and the house was a wonderful place to raise my two brothers and me. They added a first floor addition in the 1980's including a first floor bedroom (now the innkeeper's quarters).
When my parents moved into a retirement community, it became my job to sell their house. By 2004 Muncie had grown toward the northwest changing Tillotson Avenue into a major thoroughfare and making the five-bedroom house's location less attractive to a family with young children. As I would drive by it on the way to work it began to feel more like the place I grew up in instead of a house to be sold. The year it was on the market, it became clear to me that the location was perfect for a bed and breakfast.
Two years were spent in preparing the house to meet all the requirements of a 21st century bed and breakfast. A two-story addition to the north and extensive remodeling of the original structure have allowed for the inclusion of ensuite bathrooms in each of the four guest rooms. The hardwood floors have been restored to their original luster, and the front façade of the house now has twin bow windows. The fuse boxes and cast iron pipes have been replaced with modern wiring and plumbing.
Each guest room has American handmade furniture, a ceiling fan, cable TV with DVD/VCR and a four season electric fireplace by Dimplex. Our two whirlpool tubs manufactured by Sanijet are pipeless and certified by NSF, making totally hygienic bathing possible.
Guest common areas include a sunlit dining room with a 24-hour beverage station and guest refrigerator, a parlor with gas fireplace, and a library with an eclectic assortment of books, videos, and games.
If the need ever arises, the house is now equipped with a natural gas fired generator. Landscaping to the north includes a rain garden, making use of native plants to help decrease runoff from storm water onto adjacent properties.
Bed and Breakfast Amenities
The guest rooms in the McDowell-Nearing House are named for nearby Muncie neighborhoods. All rooms are on the second floor and are not handicap accessible. The Morningside room can accommodate a third guest on a roll-away bed. Amenities common to all rooms include:
- In-room thermostats to control central heat and air conditioning
- Ceiling fans
- Electric all-season fireplaces
- Ensuite bathrooms with Gilchrist and Soames toiletries
- Flat Panel U-Verse Cable TV by AT&T
- WiFi High-speed Internet access by AT&T
- Adequate closet, dresser and shelf space
- Hair dryers
- Iron and ironing board
- Alarm Clock-Radio
- CD/DVD players
- Comfy robes, fluffy towels and high quality linens
- Complimentary home-cooked breakfasts
A guest computer and printer/fax/copier is also available.
Refreshments are available along with a 24 hour beverage station in the breakfast room
Bed and Breakfast PoliciesReservations
- Our rooms can be reserved online. Although we require a credit card number to hold your online reservation, your card will not be charged until after your arrival here.
- We accept cash, personal or business checks, MasterCard, Visa and American Express.
- Room rates are for double occupancy and do not include local and state taxes. Each extra person will be charged $30.
- Check-in is between 3 pm and 6 pm. If you plan to arrive after 6:00 pm please let us know in advance, and call if you're running late. Our day is planned around check-ins,and we want to be sure to be here to meet you.
- Checkout is at 11am. Late checkouts are subject to additional fees
- If your stay is for a special occasion, please let us know if we can help with any special arrangements.
- If you have food allergies, please inform us at the time of your reservation
- A 2 night minimum stay may be required for some special event weekends.
- GIFT CERTIFICATES are available for purchase in any amount. We will assist you in crafting a special package for a friend, family member or co-worker. Please call the inn for more information.
- Because this is a small bed and breakfast inn, cancellations greatly affect us. We will try our best to rebook your room. If we are unable to rebook your room you will be charged one night's room rate
- 72 hours prior to arrival: All regular, non-event, non-holiday periods
- 14 days prior to arrival: Graduations, special events, holiday weekends, the week between Christmas and New Year's Day.
- 21 days prior to arrival: Three or four rooms visiting together
- Notification of cancellation must be made by telephone
- No shows will be charged for the entire stay
- All Guest Rooms are located on the second floor and are not handicap accessible
- Well-behaved children age 12 and above are allowed. A parent or other legally responsible person must accompany guests under age 18 during the entire length of stay
- We do not allow pets. There are no animals on the premises
- This is a non-smoking inn. Smoking is allowed outside the building well away from the front door. Ashtrays are available. We appreciate your cooperation!
- Fees for extra cleaning or repairs due to smoking in the building will be charged to your account
- No candles or other open flames are allowed in guest rooms due to fire and insurance regulations
- Guests can be asked to leave for any reason that is disruptive to the operation of the inn